Introduction to Sea Kayaking Lesson Day 1
View Course Dates
10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Begin your kayak skills development at a comfortable pace with lots of time on the water for practice.
- Solo kayak
- Kayak skirt & paddle
- Safety equipment
This a wonderful opportunity to begin your kayak skills development at a comfortable pace with more time on the water for practice than our evening lessons. Even if you have never been in a kayak before, this one-day course will start at the beginning and give you a solid foundation of paddling and safety skills, knowledge and confidence to go out with others.
For students interested in the Paddle Canada Basic Kayak certification, combine this course with either our Day 2 Introduction course or the Pool Rescue class.
What You Will Learn
- Lifting and carrying a kayak
- Forward and reverse paddling
- Forward and reverse sweep strokes
- Draw stroke
- Low brace
- Boat design & outfitting
- Clothing & safety equipment
- Interest in learning how to safely paddle a kayak and go faster than your friends!
What to Bring
Free day-use lockers are available however we recommend leaving valuables at home.
- Your completed and signed waiver (download the waiver).
- Water/sports drink
- Active clothing you don't mind getting wet
- Secure footwear you don't mind getting wet
- Extra layers in case it cools off during the day
- A change of clothes and shoes
- Sunscreen, sun hat, sunglasses with floater string
- Bagged lunch if participating in a full day excursion
- A rain jacket/pants (optional)
Harbourfront Canoe and Kayak Centre
This course starts at our mainland office at 283 Queen's Quay West. Get driving directions.
This course focuses on technical proficiency and paddling efficiency at the basic level for those wishing to remain in relatively calm conditions.Learn More
The Fine Print
13 years of age accompanied by an adult or 16 years of age without.
Our Cancelation Policy
To receive a full refund or to switch to another date, we require 48 hours notice prior to the start of your program. Bookings cancelled less than 48 hours in advance will be partially refunded or switched to another date at our discretion.
We reserve the right to cancel any program with less than 24 hours notice due to changing weather conditions such as strong winds or thunderstorms. Please check your email for cancellation notices before arriving. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but your safety and well-being is our top priority.