Beginner Kayak Value Package
This course offers similar content to our Introduction to Sea Kayaking Day 1 and 2 combined, but in a different format.
- Solo kayak
- Kayak skirt & paddle
- Safety equipment
Our Beginner Kayak Value Package course offers similar content to our Introduction to Sea Kayaking Day 1 and 2 combined, but in a different format.
The instruction is designed to provide you with basic safety and functional paddling skills for kayaking in relatively calm conditions and over the five sessions, you will have the opportunity to gain repeated experience and application of the safety and skills being taught.
This longer-term learning approach and unique progression of our value packages allows you to get to know your fellow students who could become life-long paddling buddies.
The Beginner Kayak Value Package will also save you money! Taking all five classes separately would cost over $625.
What You Will Learn
- Lifting and carrying a kayak
- Forward and reverse paddling
- Forward and reverse sweep strokes
- Draw stroke
- Low brace
- Boat design & outfitting
- Clothing & safety equipment
- Journeying & environmental safety
- Wet exit
- Retrieving a swamped kayak
- Assisted rescue & Rafting up
Course Dates and Times
Tuesday & Thursday from 5:30-9:00 pm + Saturday 10:00 am-6:00 pm
- Curiosity and time to learn how to safely paddle a kayak, with other like-minded participants, in the heart of Toronto!
What to Bring
Free day-use lockers are available however we recommend leaving valuables at home.
- Your completed and signed waiver (download the waiver).
- Water/sports drink
- Active clothing you don't mind getting wet
- Secure footwear you don't mind getting wet
- Extra layers in case it cools off during the day
- A change of clothes and shoes
- Sunscreen, sun hat, sunglasses with floater string
- Bagged lunch if participating in a full day excursion
- A rain jacket/pants (optional)
Harbourfront Canoe and Kayak Centre
This course starts at our mainland office at 283 Queen's Quay West. Get driving directions.
The Fine Print
13 years of age accompanied by an adult or 16 years of age without.
Our Cancelation Policy
To receive a full refund or to switch to another date, we require 48 hours notice prior to the start of your program. Bookings cancelled less than 48 hours in advance will be partially refunded or switched to another date at our discretion.
We reserve the right to cancel any program with less than 24 hours notice due to changing weather conditions such as strong winds or thunderstorms. Please check your email for cancellation notices before arriving. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but your safety and well-being is our top priority.