Beginner Kayak Value Package
Similar to our Introduction to Sea Kayaking Day 1 and 2 combined, but in a different format. Build your experience over 4 nights plus a full day!
- Solo kayak
- Kayak skirt & paddle
- Safety equipment
Our Beginner Kayak Value Package course offers similar content to our Introduction to Sea Kayaking Day 1 and 2 combined, but in a different format.
The instruction is designed to provide you with basic safety and functional paddling skills for kayaking in relatively calm conditions and over the five sessions, you will have the opportunity to gain repeated experience and application of the safety and skills being taught.
This longer-term learning approach and unique progression of our value packages allows you to get to know your fellow students who could become life-long paddling buddies.
The Beginner Kayak Value Package will also save you money! Successful participants have the opportunity to earn their Paddle Canada Basic Sea Kayak Skills Certification.
To see Minimum Age for this course and our Cancelation Policy, scroll down to The Fine Print.
What You Will Learn
- Lifting and carrying a kayak
- Forward and reverse paddling
- Forward and reverse sweep strokes
- Draw stroke
- Low brace
- Boat design & outfitting
- Clothing & safety equipment
- Journeying & environmental safety
- Wet exit
- Retrieving a swamped kayak
- Assisted rescue & Rafting up
Course Dates and Times
Tuesdays & Fridays 5:30-9:00 pm + Sunday 9:30 am-4:30 pm
Tuesdays & Thursdays 5:30-9:00 pm + Sunday 9:30 am-4:30 pm
- Curiosity and time to learn how to safely paddle a kayak, with other like-minded participants, in the heart of Toronto!
What to Bring
- Bagged lunch/Snacks if participating in a full day excursion
- Water/sports drink
- Active clothing you don't mind getting wet
- Secure footwear you don't mind getting wet
- Extra layers in case it cools off during the day
- A change of clothes and shoes
- Sunscreen, sun hat, sunglasses with floater string
- A rain jacket/pants (optional)
Harbourfront Canoe and Kayak Centre
This course starts at our mainland office at 283 Queen's Quay West. Get driving directions.
The Fine Print
13 years of age accompanied by an adult or 16 years of age without.
Our Cancelation Policy
To receive a full refund or to switch to another date, we require 7 days notice prior to the start of your program. Exceptions at our discretion. Zero refund for ‘no show’.
We reserve the right to cancel any program with less than 24 hours notice due to changing weather conditions such as strong winds or thunderstorms. Please check your email for cancellation notices before leaving for your program. In this case, we will try to re-schedule to another date or offer a full refund. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but your safety and well-being is our top priority.