Tandem Canoe Introduction Lesson Day 1
View Course Dates
10:00 am to 4:30 pm
Learn the skills needed to paddle in this introductory program.
- Canoe, lifejacket, and paddle.
- All safety equipment.
There’s nothing more Canadian than being able to paddle a canoe but what’s so special about the canoe? We invite you to find out with this introductory program.
Whether you’re starting a new outdoor activity, hobby, or needing to refresh your paddling skills from the years past, this 1-day course has been designed to satisfy all. The day focuses on the basic functional skills needed to get you safely started and continue your skill development of this significantly historical pursuit. Come out and become part of Canada’s history.
What You Will Learn
- Basic tandem canoe maneuvering: paddling forward, backwards, turning around, stopping, launching and landing.
- Basic strokes: Forward Stoke, Reverse, Stop/Check, Draw's and Pry's.
- Canoe balance and stability.
- Introduction to tandem safety and rescues.
- Carrying a tandem canoe.
- Paddler communication and roles of the bow (front) and stern (back) paddler.
- The canoe in Canadian heritage.
- An interest and curiosity in learning how to safely paddle the watercraft that developed Canada.
What to Bring
Free day-use lockers are available however we recommend leaving valuables at home.
- Your completed and signed waiver (download the waiver).
- Water/sports drink
- Active clothing you don't mind getting wet
- Secure footwear you don't mind getting wet
- Extra layers in case it cools off during the day
- A change of clothes and shoes
- Sunscreen, sun hat, sunglasses with floater string
- Bagged lunch if participating in a full day excursion
- A rain jacket/pants (optional)
Harbourfront Canoe and Kayak Centre
This course starts at our mainland office at 283 Queen's Quay West. Get driving directions.
The Fine Print
13 years with an adult or 16 years of age without.
Our Cancelation Policy
To receive a full refund or to switch to another date, we require 48 hours notice prior to the start of your program. Bookings cancelled less than 48 hours in advance will be partially refunded or switched to another date at our discretion.
We reserve the right to cancel any program with less than 24 hours notice due to changing weather conditions such as strong winds or thunderstorms. Please check your email for cancellation notices before arriving. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but your safety and well-being is our top priority.