F. U. N. !
Develop friendships with staff, guests, and paddling community‘U’ is for Understanding
Furthering our own local ecosystem knowledge & paddling skills‘N’ is for Nature
Having an appreciation for nature and a passion to bring urban folks closer to it.
Are you interested in working with the Harbourfront Canoe & Kayak Centre? Every season we offer positions for Dock Crew, Office Crew and Kids Camp Instructors. We are open daily from Victoria Day Weekend until the end of September. The Harbourfront Canoe & Kayak Centre (HCKC) is committed to providing safe, fun, creative, and educational activities within the restriction of Canoeing, Kayaking and Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP). We are not just striving to be the best paddling centre in Canada; we are striving to provide exceptional customer service; to insure the safety and well being of all and to provide an environment promoting teamwork and respect. Our goal is to create a welcoming, friendly atmosphere to whomever comes our way; readily offering assistance and being knowledgeable about the area around us. To apply for an Office or Dock Crew position, please download a Job Application and email it with your Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for Applications is April 30th.
Required Skills & Certifications:
- Strong Team Player; works well with all staff
- Strong Public Relations; positive interaction with the Public
- Valid Standard First Aid/CPR 'C' Certificate
- Valid Pleasure Craft Operator Licence, to operate Motor Boats
- Valid Toronto Harbour Licence
- Able to lift 60 lbs.
We Will Train You In:
- Working with Instructors to co-ordinate Program set up and de-commissioning of equipment
- Performing Safe Paddler Skills Assessment for Canoe, Kayak and Standup Paddleboard
- Outfitting Renters with Required Equipment
- Assisting Guests with their Personal Storage Boat
- Performing Rescues using Kayaks and/or Pontoon Boat
- Maintaining Site, Docks & Boats for Cleanliness and Safety
- Boat Repairs
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Excellent Customer Relation Skills
- Strong Team Player; works well with all staff, including Instructors, Dock Crew, and Kids Camp Counsellors
- Good Computer Skills, including Microsoft Office, Excel, Email, etc.
- Good Organizational Skills
- Able to cope well in a busy environment
We Will Train You In:
- Bookeo On-line Course Reservation Program
- Checkfront Rental Reservation Program
- Answering Email and Phone Messages
- Taking and Processing Payments
- Preparing Daily Sales Reports
- Booking Instructors for Courses
- Prepare Instructor Course Packets
- Checking First Aid and Office Supplies
- Other Duties, as required
SUMMER MARINE KIDS CAMPS
All camp positions for 2017 have now been filled.
To apply for our Kids Camp Crew next season, please email email@example.com in the New Year to request a Camp Application Package. Deadline for Applications is April 30th. Interviews are scheduled during the month of May.
To provide a fun and safe environment for the campers attending their group on any given week that follows the description in the Harbour Kids Camp Brochure. Senior Instructors must adhere to our ‘Code of Conduct’ which, if hired is included with their contract. Senior Instructors should utilize the skills and abilities of the Junior Instructor and I.I.T. to improve the quality of lessons and group dynamics. While at camp, Senior Instructors are responsible for the well being of Campers, Junior Instructors, and Instructors-in-Training. They are responsible to plan out each and every day and are in charge of the group’s daily activities; as well as positively follow the Camp Director’s suggestions.
Senior Instructor Requirements (to be satisfied before first day of employment):
- 17 yrs of age by June 30th
- Standard 1stAid/CPR C Certificate
- Criminal Record Check if 18 or older
- Acquired or working on Flatwater Instructor Certification in either Canoeing or Kayaking
- Bronze Cross or NLS Certificate
- Camp Experience with children
- Good communication/organizational skills
To provide assistance to Senior Instructors in the planning of lessons and/or day plans. In emergency situations, Junior Instructors should go where needed to provide any assistance that is required. Junior Instructors must follow any instructions given by the Senior Instructors unless it puts them or any of the campers in harms way. Junior Instructors must adhere to our ‘Code of Conduct’ which, if hired is included with their contract. At any point in the week and without notice, Junior Instructors may be subject to move from group to group to provide assistance.
Junior Instructor Requirements (to be satisfied before first day of employment):
- 16 yrs of age by June 30th / Grade 10 completed
- Standard 1st Aid/CPR C Certificate
- Criminal Record Check if 18 or older
- Canoe or Kayak Experience, Camp Experience
- Good communication and organizational skills
KIDS CAMP INSTRUCTOR-IN-TRAINING (Unpaid Volunteer Position)
To apply for an I.I.T. position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an Information Letter and Registration Form for this coming season.
Instructors in Training (I.I.T.) provide any assistance needed to either Junior or Senior Instructors with camp related activities. An I.I.T. cannot be responsible for any group on their own, on or off the water. As this is an unpaid training position, an I.I.T. is encouraged to learn as many skills and teaching techniques as possible from the various groups to which they are assigned. An I.I.T. may also be assigned teaching responsibilities as seen fit by the Senior Instructor. An I.I.T. is often first considered to fill Junior Instructor positions in future years. I.I.T.’s must commit to 4 non-consecutive weeks as well as attend a week of staff training the week before camps begin. Volunteer hours may be eligible for high school volunteer requirements (please check with your school).
- 14 yrs of age by June 30th
- Canoe or Kayak Experience
- Camp Experience